Horse Listener’s Orchard, formerly Crooks Orchard, is a 153-acre fruit orchard and vegetable farm located at 317 Bebbington Road in Ashford. The farm produces more than 25 different varieties of apples, in addition to blueberries, peaches, plums, pears, vegetables, herbs, cut flowers and garden plants.
Horse Listener’s offers pick-your-own blueberries, peaches and apples, along with a farm store fully stocked with locally grown and produced goods. Seasonal goods include Horse Listener’s farm grown vegetables, local eggs, butter, cheese, maple syrup, honey, apple cider, jams, jellies, pickles, candy, baking mixes, pies and much more! The farm store is open 7 days a week from June through December, finishing out each year with local Christmas tree and wreath sales. During the farm’s fall pick-your-own apple season, Horse Listener’s offers free tractor train rides on Sundays for the kids and have horses on sight you are welcome to visit with. The operators pride themselves in working closely with and supporting Connecticut Grown farmers and producers.
Horse Listener’s has a picnic area with tables near the property’s pond that can be reserved for private events by calling ahead.
Some facts to remember:
- Summer hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 7 days a week. Hours expand during apple season.
- Pick-your-own blueberries are ready mid-July
- Pick-your-own peaches are ready the end of July
- Pick-your-own apples are ready mid-August and go through the first of November
- Exact picking dates will vary depending on weather and other factors.
- Horse Listener’s recommends calling ahead or checking their Facebook page for the most up-to-date farm information. Our phone number is 860-429-5336.
You can also find Horse Listener’s at the Lebanon Farmers Market on Saturdays and the Old State Building Market in Hartford on Fridays.